Carnegie Mellon University
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has an immediate opening for a Manager of Sponsored Research Administration. The ECE Department is a diverse academic community just shy of 1,400 individuals (faculty, staff and students) and includes global research and teaching efforts through extensions of our Pittsburgh academic programs and research in Silicon Valley, Portugal, Rwanda, Thailand and Singapore.
The Manager of Sponsored Research Administration will be part of the ECE Finance and Sponsored Research team and will report to the Director of Finance and Sponsored Research.
Under the mentorship of the director, you will lead a team of Research Administrators in executing all research administration services for the department including pre- and post-award activity for an annual research budget of $16M+, 200+ active research awards, and 150+ proposal submissions per year. Additionally, the manager is responsible for transactional, budgetary and regulatory oversight of ECE’s diverse research portfolio (grants, contracts, gifts, fellowships, etc.), and training, mentoring and performance management of the research administration team.
You will perform the following tasks:
- Direct the day-to-day operations of research administration and management of sponsored research office for both pre- award and post-award administration.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to research administration staff by supervising and training on research policies and procedures.
- Lead departmental research objectives and continuously improve processes to provide highest-level of support to faculty.
- Serve as principal contact on all research issues; act as primary liaison between principal investigators (PIs) and external sponsors, the Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Research Integrity and Compliance and the Sponsored Projects Accounting Office. Serve on department, college and university committees.
- Coordinate the submission of research proposals and post-award set-up for new awards.
- Submit all high-risk or high-profile research proposals (cost share/prestigious awards).
- Facilitate monthly expenditure reporting, forecasting, and variance analysis.
- Monitor agreements and contracts to ensure that all compliance issues are addressed in regards to University, Sponsor, Federal and State guidelines.
- Provide interpretation of policies, laws, and activities related to compliance.
- Review and approves all department sponsored research purchasing transactions.
- Provide in depth financial analysis to the director on overall sponsored research budget and advise on long-term financial viability of department as it relates to sponsored research funding.
- Assist director in the preparation of sponsored research budget, forecast and variance analysis as part of the financial review process.
- Prepare financial reports for college and department as needed and requested. Develops and implements a strategic plan to ensure operational excellence of the team.
- Travel to off-campus locations to collaborate and/or train research administration counterparts.
- Attend conferences and workshops.
You will demonstrate:
- Strong customer service skills and ability to maintain composure during stressful situations.
- An ability to work independently in most instances and manage multiple projects / priorities at a time in a dynamic environment. Work with supervisor to manage changing workloads or priorities.
- Capability to direct others, pay close attention to details, meet inflexible deadlines, work under pressure, and work with frequent interruptions.
- Recognizes the opportunity for process improvement and participates in the implementation.
- An ability to function competently in a team environment;
- An ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing situations;
- An ability to balance conflicting priorities;
- Excellent analytical, organizational, supervisory, reasoning and problem solving skills;
- An ability to interact effectively with campus community and external customers.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
- At least 5 or more years of progressive sponsored research administration and/or related business administration experience; at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy; ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- CRA strongly preferred.