Technical Safety BC
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Excluded
Reports to: Director, Technical Programs
Technical Safety BC has a bold vision for the future: Safe technical systems. Everywhere. We are an independent, self-funded organization who oversees the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment. We employ over 400 people who work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education, outreach, enforcement and research. We are a proactive thought leader that promotes safety awareness and accident prevention through an agile, resilient culture that engages future-thinkers from demographically and technologically diverse backgrounds to work together to create knowledge about risk and safety.
At Technical Safety BC, we see genius in diversity, we foster confidence, we make the complex simple; and we adapt. We are committed to developing a diverse workforce that is representative of the people of British Columbia. If you connect with these values – we want to hear from you.
For more information about how we advance safe technical systems through BC, please visit our website at https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/
About the Role
Technical Safety BC is looking for a dynamic Manager, Safety System Risk to join our fast growing organization.
Are you a highly motivated individual who is looking for an opportunity implement an outcome based approach for identifying and understanding technical safety risks through data analysis and evaluation methods? Do you have an area of expertise in harm reduction and risk analysis? If so, we invite you to explore the prospect of working within the Technical Programs team at Technical Safety BC.
What will you do?
Results Focused Analysis
- Leads the identification and analysis of safety system risk through to the development, implementation, communication and the monitoring of safety system risk treatment plans.
- Review of predictive and event based safety system risk assessments and development of evidence based policy.
- Provides support, education and training to employee to build safety system risk awareness.
- Integrate safety system risk management with strategic business planning.
- Identifies critical outcomes measures, for the evaluation of the effectiveness of safety system risk.
- Compares outcome objectives for technical safety risk prevention and programs which will enable comparison with other applicable benchmarks.
- Develops metrics to measure the impact of intervention strategies and tactics on safety.
- Develops a roadmap that supports the business plan and the program vision.
- Applies systems thinking to research, and analyzes and advises internal and external stakeholders on programs, policies and emerging issues that relate to safety risk issues beyond the technology itself i.e. the causal factors as it relates to human behaviours, social economic conditions, organizational structures and resourcing etc.
- Synthesizes information from various sources to provide the best advice to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops and implements a consistent integrated technical safety system risk management framework and supporting processes to improve public safety.
- Provides strategic input to regulatory planning and design to strengthen safety oversight models in all disciplines.
- Leads a collaborative effort to develop and implement effective intervention strategies and tactics to mitigate technical safety risks
Develops Networks & Builds Collaborative Environments
- Communicates with multiple stakeholders to disseminate information that supports activities as they relate to safety system risk.
- Engages and partners with internal and external stakeholders with diverse backgrounds and varying objectives, such as other Regulators, Health Authorities, insurance organizations, academic institutions and Industry Associations etc.
- Conducts environmental scans and partners with external stakeholders to identify and validate safety system risk trends to proactively identify opportunities to optimize the safety system.
- Partner with Leadership to advise on sound choices for managing safety system risks relative to the level of investment and established risk appetite and tolerance limits.
- Manages directly reporting employees, including recruitment and selection, coaching and development, performance management, and all related people practices in accordance with policies and the collective agreement(s).
What will you bring?
- Ph.D in behavioural science, epidemiology, actuarial science, public policy, process engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years’ progressive experience in an similar role supplemented by 5 years’ leadership experience in harm reduction (for example disease and injury prevention).
- Experience in a variety of risk analysis methods (ex. CART, FMEA, Fault Trees etc.) and evaluation techniques.
- Strategic thinking that is curious, thinks outside the box and not afraid to explore and contradict norms.
- Analytical in nature and able to convey it to a variety of audiences in a consumable way.
- Ability to inspire change, lead and influence others.
- Ability to engage with a variety of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Creative problem-solver who brings innovative solutions to new and recurring problems.
- Advanced facilitation and change management skills.
- Experience applying safety system risk concepts in organizational settings, including recognizing differences in risk perception, risk appetite, imperfect information and limitation resources.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with the ability to interpret and synthesize broad data and fact sets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to be diplomatic and persuasive to internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong resiliency with ability to embrace uncertainty and lead evolution and adaption.
- Inspirational leader with the ability to gain valuable insights through collaboration and communication.
- Proven experience in executing large initiatives with complex requirements with multiple stakeholders.
- Displays courage, connection and generosity in leadership and decision making.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and any other related documents online at https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/BRI5000/JobBoard/70d2813a-3f44-e8eb-07c7-d...