Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY
Proposal Development Coordinator
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor's degree (foreign equivalent or higher degree). Three (3) years of full-time administrative and/or research experience. Experience developing or managing budgets.
Advanced degree (foreign equivalent or higher degree). Four or more years (4+) of full-time administrative and/or research experience. Experience conducting research. Experience with federal and/or state grant proposal development and/or submission.
Brief Description of Duties:
This position will work within the Office of Proposal Development (OPD), and reporting to a Proposal Development Specialist, the incumbent will provide complex administrative support to Stony Brook's research and scholarly community in their pursuit of extramural funding. OPD staff work directly with Stony Brook researchers and their staff to develop grant applications and support writing, reviewing and submitting proposals, including developing project budgets that are structured appropriately to meet the needs of the program. OPD staff work in unison with the Office of Sponsored Programs to ensure that proposals meet all sponsor and University requirements.
The successful incumbent will have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, exercising strong organizational skills with an exceptional attention to detail. Essential for this role is the adeptness to work independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving.
The Office of Proposal Development's primary focus is on large-scale and/or interdisciplinary proposals involving multiple departments and external collaborators, also supporting early career investigators in launching or bolstering funding for their research program. Therefore, the OPD also notes that having experience effectively multi-tasking in a fast-paced, dead- line driven environment with a high degree of accuracy and organization is imperative for the success of this role.
• Decipher and extract key proposal requirements from the funding opportunity and develop a timeline of milestones to facilitate proposal planning and development. Initiate and maintain regular communication/meetings/shared document space with the entire proposal development team to ensure timely progress towards successful proposal submission.
• Draft, format, secure and review required proposal documents, including biographical sketches, current and pending funding, data management plans, letters of support, training records, and other required supporting documentation.
• Coordinate the budget development, prepping and uploading documents into myResearch, grants.gov and other sponsor application systems such as Fastlane.
• Conduct information mining and data extraction/analysis to support a broad range of strategic research development initiatives and resources, including (but not limited to) funding opportunities, emerging national initiatives, state/federal legislative priorities, etc.
• Provide complex administrative support related to the development and delivery of resources and trainings related to grantsmanship and proposal development/submission.
• Function as a generalist in all areas of the Office's daily business, requiring a full understanding of the office, as well as University policies and procedures. Provide support to the customer service area of the office including calendar maintenance, appointments, reimbursements, website maintenance, and event set-up/clean-up. Participate, as appropriate, in internal and external professional activities, staying abreast of emerging developments within the field. Provide training to new staff.
• Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information,veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity at (631) 632-6280 or visit OIDE.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Office of Proposal Development-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Apr 8, 2020
Posting End Date: May 8, 2020, 8:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL3
Appointment Type: Term